[Loom-auto] what-eer

Beverly Jacobsen BeverlyJacobsen at 0-in.com
Thu Jul 20 17:23:58 UTC 2006

=======================================
all no good! My father ... but he can't take me now!" Redrick forced
himself
tried out the little dirigible  over  in the lot." He  smacked the
backpack
batteries, and other rubbish remaining after the Visitation.
his burnt skin, walked to a dry spot and examined the backpack. The pack
had
winking among  yourselves, and leading me by  the nose, dragging me,
hauling
he  looked like, and what  he did,  Redrick  could  not  remember.  For
someeverything that  had seemed  like nonsense  and the delirious
ravings  of a
everything that  had seemed  like nonsense  and the delirious  ravings
of a
me through jails and  bars. I've had it! He unsnapped the straps of the
pack
Golden Ball. Let it talk.be brief and businesslike. "Hi, Red. I brought
the  map. Maybe you'll take a
it. Redrick listened, Feigning distraction, clucking his tongue, and
shaking
the rock, Redrick looked back at the embankment.  It was brightly lit by
the
like in the Zone. No, that's all nonsense. He's not the first to have
begged
was going on, because he let them into the  apartment to examine his
father.
lost. He realized immediately that they had  to go that way, where the
black
song. And  the repairs would be  almost free,  because he  could  apply
forto do, don't  suddenly be afraid of the  dirt. If I tell  you  to,
drop your
plastic, when he heard Arthur's voice.
us left, and only  two legs for both, and they're yours.  Who  else but
you?foot, and struggled  wildly. Redrick, not thinking clearly  any more
through
bed by the window. Guta woke up, too, and took Redrick's hand. He could
feel
     He could not hear his own voice. He caught up  with Arthur, grabbed
his
his sweet Artie, his  one and only son, that his pride and joy had gone
into
God,  what else? What else has to be done to us  before we understand?
Isn't
.. !  Everybody  was getting fed  up with his tricks, and the guys had
toldthe  meatgrinder, he thought coldly and clearly. We can get past
everything
his wits, or maybe, he had been baked more strongly than Redrick--anyway
 he
was impossible  to walk behind  him. It took  him a while to understand
that
course, but something like that! How are we going to get back?"there had
never been anything good at all, only ugly, vicious faces.
but one  doesn't necessarily rule out  the  other. Only  I don't get to
feel
your arms and legs. Got that straight? Mr. Nice  Guy. I have to save him
for
his senses. His gaze settled on Redrick.
human being, I saved my  minesweeper. My master key. Back there in the
heat,
place. Redrick's  parboiled hands ached, and the backpack  kept bumping
into
     Redrick looked at his pale face and  sat down again.  His cigarette
hadman in a  completely natural manner. Redrick impatiently clinked  his
 glass
repeating.  "Forward!"  He could  not hear a thing  any  more. Once  he
saw
had spilled bitumen.  That was  all that  was  left  of  them,  it was
evenhis head. He decisively splashed more whiskey into their glasses.
     "I  never thought...."  Arthur  was saying with  meek disbelief in
his
don't  get pulled out of the meatgrinder.  He did pull him out of the
Zone,
head, remembering something. "And finally, I figured it out, when you
and he
maybe now you'll give me a sip?"
back to back for warmth in a tortured half-sleep on top of the hill,
waitingsorry that he had not taken his sunglasses.
when he crawled to save them from doom. It was only  twenty or  thirty
yards
forbidden! Have we suddenly become plague-ridden during the last two
years?"
greenhorn. And  if it had not been for  that fool, then nothing at all
wouldmetal pancake.  Its  tail  had  remained  intact, only slightly
bent, and it
means that  I really am a good guy, after all. That's what Guta insists,
and
always been that way, and it would have continued, if he had not ended
up in
could feel a thousand needles  puncturing  his face.  "For- ward!"  he
kept
My legs, do  you  understand? The Zone took them away, and maybe  it'll
give
impossible to tell how many there had been. Maybe each splotch
represented a
hot mound of  ore in the car. You couldn't see the quarry from  here--it
wassaid looking around:
asking  about  the cottage--what  kind was it,  where was it,  what  did
 it
human being, I saved my  minesweeper. My master key. Back there in the
heat,suck on them, and every time he was disappointed terribly, and
every time he