[Loom-devel] terly inconsi

Schmelmer Hashaway ringer at watercare.nl
Sat Aug 29 11:14:12 CEST 2009

 still more completely forgotten. If, then, "Henry VI." is "certainly
collaborative," a "chronicle history of the earlier kind," as Professor
Wendell expressly asserts, it ought to be shown for our certain
instruction who was Shakspere's collaborator in the three parts of that
drama. This neither he nor any other critic has yet done. Malone says it
was Greene or Peele, but, in spite of the established fact that we have
abundant remains of both, he cannot determine between them from style,
or rhythm, or other peculiarities; Collier "supposes" it was Greene;
Dyce "conjectures" it was Marlowe. On the contrary, it may be
conclusively shown that Shakspere is constantly quoting from the "First
Part of Henry VI." and the "Contention," as from himself,--adjectives,
figures of speech, sentences, phrases. The cardinal in "Henry VI." is
called a "scarlet hypocrite," in "Henry VIII." a "scarlet sin." In one
play the sentence "I am but shadow of myself" becomes in the other "I am
the shadow of poor Buckingham." "My book of memory" in "Henry" is
changed to "the table of my memory" in "Hamlet." "Who now is girded with
a waist of iron" is repeated in "King John"--"That a