[Loom-devel] lained the matter. . . ." "You

Imamura Whitford civilization at xsopt.com
Fri Mar 26 21:01:35 CET 2010

E point," he said. "You know me well enough not to mind anything I say."
Clavering glanced up from his oysters in alarm. "There's just one
question I won't discuss," he said sharply. Oglethorpe
stared. "You don't mean to say you're

interested in her? So much the better! And it strikes me you can't have
any objection

to discussing her with me. I'm her father, ain't I?" "Her father--are
you talking of Janet?"
"Who else? I'm worried as the devil. Have been ever since I got in this
morning. I'd telegraphed I was coming, and when I got
to the house Molly told me that mother wanted to see me at once and
I posted down there. It was about Janet, and you
know more about it than I do." "I suppose I know what you mean. But it
turned out all

right. She happened to meet me, not some man who might have annoyed her.
Of course she shouldn't have taken such a risk, but; what can you do
with these flappers? They're all in league together and you

might as well let them go their
little pace. It won't last. They'll soon be older, and I don't suppose
you intend to play the heavy father and lock her up." "No,
but I'd like damn well to get her married. Mother told me a pretty
tale. It seems she made a row at Sherry's last night, making you and
some lady you had with you as conspicuous as herself. Mrs. Vane was
there and carried it straight to mother. Mother's no fool and had
already got on to this younger generation business and given Janny

one or two tongue lashings, but she never dreamed it had gone as far as
it looks. Roaming the streets alone at one in the morning! She'd
undoubtedly been drinking last

night--God! I've a notion to take a switch to her. And I suppose she was
pretty well
lit the night you picked
her up. I've never see