[PP-main] Roadmap and notes.

lists at itsg.net.au lists at itsg.net.au
Wed Apr 5 03:05:22 CEST 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 02:41:45PM +1000, lists at itsg.net.au wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
> I disagree. It's not that I think it's possible to retain full control of all
> reproduction. In particular, small web sites, personal email, usenet, all
> these are hard to control. But I reckon it will be fairly common for content
> to show up on Peer Press that will be interesting to larger non-member sites,
> like the Andover/VA sites, Linux Journal, Linux Weekly news, etc. Those sites
> regularly pay people for royalties, and I expect they'd be interested in
> continuing to do so, even if the content is available on other sites.

absolutely. i feel however that this is something the member site should
sort out with the author prior to "publishing", not with ppn.

> The way to facilitate this (because it's a good way to make lots of people
> publish on PPN) is to make the licensing smart, so that member sites who
> reciprocate the favor can publish freely, while others are left out unless
> they pay (on the articles and content labeled as "otherwise available for
> pay" by the authors).

i'm a little lost here joakim. i really want to understand we're you're
coming from on this subject, as i think it could make or break ppn.
if you can give an example i'd really appreciate it.

> Duly noted. Depending on how large this group grows, we'll possibly start
> another mailing list for it.

okay. i was thinking maybe:

peerpress-licensing

and maybe

peerpress-xmldtd

to start off with?

> I agree. The XML DTD is probably the most important, though. It'll need to
> work before we can exchange info at all.

i'm with you here all the way. i wish i could create dtd's 8^(
i am more than happy to help with the different entities that should go
into it though.

> I'm fairly insistent on one point,
> though, not using mySQL. If you're going to do this sort of thing, *please*
> look at using PostgreSQL or some other free package instead.

i am not trying to push mysql here 8^) the only reason i suggest it is
'cause it is fast. however, i think maybe because we need acid we should
go with either postgres or interbase > v6 (under the MPL1.1 by june,
available as binary only atm).

- avi