[PP-main] Technical/implementation matters

Joakim Ziegler joakim at simplemente.net
Mon Mar 6 08:50:04 CET 2000

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 03:56:07PM +0930, Nick Lothian wrote:

> The clients need to be able to stuff like "Give me a list of headlines
> between now and a week ago" - and choose which articles they get.

> I'm begining to think we need a XML-RPC interface to the server.

Definitely not. XML-RPC is for RPC, that is, calling remote procedures. This,
on the other hand, is exactly the sort of task that's been solved by
protocols since the very beginning. Looking to NNTP, you can see how easy it
is, really.

>> Ideally, this would be done with XSL:T. But that standard isn't all that
>> finished and stable, and is a bit tricky. I can think of a few
>> alternatives,
>> like the Python based system we're going to use in Conglomerate, but none
>> that make the transformation rules exactly *easy* to write.

> Even if the XSL stuff is too difficult or doesn't work well enough yet, it
> is easy enough to parse the XML document and get the story from it, and then
> do what you want.

Yes, given that you have a decent XML API for whatever your language of
preference is. Which you usually do, I agree.

Joakim Ziegler - simplemente r&d director - joakim at simplemente.net
 FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer
      http://www.avmaria.com/ - http://www.simplemente.net/