[Peerpress-main] the Hudson, but, as God willed

Leichtman Broderson cracking at run-inn.nl
Wed Jan 13 22:44:54 CET 2010

Uld survive the weight of the foul imputation of putting barriers in the
way of this war, which, we firmly believe, though terrible and bloody
while it lasts, is to end by giving a fresh and vigorous impulse to the
cause of human redemption and advancement--an impulse that nothing
thereafter shall be able to check materially. Although one only
comprehensive principle lies at the bottom of the anomalous condition of
things which preceded, and at last culminated in, the tremendous civil
contest through which the country is now passing--a fierce baptism of
fire and blood necessary to purge and reinstate her in pristine purity
and grandeur, whose end is certainly not yet--still it is constantly
assuming new disguises, and has been aptly likened to a virulent and
incurable cancer in the body politic, which, driven in in one place,
instantly breaks out with redoubled fierceness in another. Its latest
and favorite form is that of hatred to New England. I have called it
_Southern_ hatred of New England. By this I do not mean to denote any
geographical limit or boundary. This war is not a war of sections, but a
war of ideas; and the terms _Southern_ and _Northern_ are to be limited
to this ideal meaning. The two sections, as such, are not arrayed
against each other, but the two antagonistic principles represented by
these sections are, in sad truth, at deadly warfare. We see Union men at
the South, and secessionists at the North; but there is this dif