[Peerpress-xml] friends, 'Hunt books in the most

Gesing theists at easybbq.nl
Fri Aug 28 21:00:02 CEST 2009

Ides. For myself, as the peg by which all this romantic business hung, I
was simply idolized from that moment; and he would rather have
sacrificed his hand than surrendered the privilege of serving me.' One
can believe that Stevenson was a boy with tastes and ambitions like
Rowley. But for that matter Rowley stands for universal boy-nature.
Criticism of _St. Ives_ becomes both easy and difficult by reason of the
fact that we know so much about the book from the author's point of
view. He wrote it in trying circumstances, and never completed it; the
last six chapters are from the pen of a practiced story-teller, who
follows the author's known scheme of events. Stevenson was almost too
severe in his comment upon his book. He says of _St. Ives_:-- 'It is a
mere tissue of adventures; the central figure not very well or very
sharply drawn; no philosophy, no destiny, to it; some of the happenings
very good in themselves, I believe, but none of them _bildende_, none of
them constructive, except in so far perhaps as they make up a kind of
sham picture of the time, all in italics, and all out of drawing. Here
and there, I think, it is well written; and here