[Pyrex] recognizing the list

Joakim Ziegler joakim at avmaria.com
Fri Apr 18 21:54:15 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 04:25, Robin Becker wrote:
> In article <1050632960.1347.1.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Joakim
> Ziegler <joakim at avmaria.com> writes
> >On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 05:25, Robin Becker wrote:
> >> A bit stupid, but Greg's posts come from list0 rather than lists. What's
> >> the right way to recognize posts from the list?
> >
> >Never use the From: field to recognize mailing lists. Use X-BeenThere:
> >in the case of Mailman lists. That contains the correct list name.

> gurk I've never even X-heard of the X-BeenThere: header :)

> Looking in the text of the message I see the following that might be
> relevant and of these the most host independent seem to be the

No, don't use these. Use X-BeenThere:. There are four or five headers in
use by different mailing list management software, that can be used for
filtering purposes. X-BeenThere is the one Mailman uses.

Some mail software, such as Evolution, automatically recognizes these
headers, and can thus know that it's list mail. For instance, in
Evolution, you can do Tools->Create Filter From Message->Filter on
Mailing List, and it'll do the right thing.

Host-independent  isn't really what you're looking for. If a mailing
list moves to another host, chances are you will have to change things
anyway. Besides, that's the reason you use aliases like
"lists.copyleft.no"

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim at avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt at Undernet