[Pyrex] External declarations and GCC-XML?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jul 22 02:06:19 CEST 2003

John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com>:

> Any plans to get rid of the need for Pyrex declarations for external
> symbols?

At some point there may be a tool to semi-automate the conversion
of C to Pyrex declarations. It seems unlikely that this will
ever be fully automated, however, because there isn't enough
information in a C header file for Pyrex to find out everything
it needs to know.

I know of one person who started working on a tool like this,
but I haven't heard what sort of progress he's made recently.

> I guess it's mostly about the difference between Pyrex syntax and C
> syntax?  If so, might something like GCC-XML be a good solution?

Actually, that's the least of the difficulties -- if syntax were
the only issue, it would almost be trivial. The real problems
mostly concern what to do about #defines, #ifdefs, etc...