[Pyrex] Pyrex and MSVC

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Wed Sep 3 11:21:42 CEST 2003

At 10:08 03.09.2003 +0200, Francesc Alted wrote:
>The first one is that Pyrex emits this C code that MSVC does not like very
>much:
>
>staticforward char *__pyx_f[];

I was just about to post a question about the same problem. I suppose
you're using Python 2.3, right? I've just update to 2.3 and have the same
problem now. Between 2.2 and 2.3 they've changed the definition of
"staticforward" in objects.h which results in an error in VC6. The issue
was discussed in comp.lang.python about a month ago, see the threads "pyrex
error" and "MSVC 6.0 Unsupported?" (both from early august):

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pyrex+error&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=de&btnG=Google+Suche
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=msvc+6.0+unsupported&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=de&btnG=Google+Suche

However, they didn't really come up with a satisfying solution and what I
don't understand is that they said Python was indeed compiled using VC6...?!?

So my questions are:

1) Should the current Pyrex version already be compatible with Python 2.3?
2) Is VC6 considered to be a supported compiler for Pyrex users?

If the answers to both questions is "yes" then Pyrex obviously needs some
modifications....

- Matthias -