[Pyrex] Dangerous weirdness happening

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Tue Sep 30 06:46:13 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 15:20, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> > Or, how can I accommodate multiple Python versions in my app, without
> > rubbing my users' noses in intricacies they don't want to know about?
>
> That's such a horrible idea, don't try and make a python extension work
> on two different binary incompatible versions of Python!

Thanks for sharing that.

However, it might be taking 'Python Fundamentalism' a tad far, IMO.

Binaries linked against earlier shared glibc versions run quite happily
on systems with later glibc. Nobody has philosophical/religious
objections to that. So why shouldn't backward compatibility be supported
with similar ease with Python?

> If you want it to be easy, just use py2exe and make them download the
> extra two megs or so for your application.

Don't worry - I'm using McMillan Installer to create an exe for Windows.
I wouldn't even *dream* of asking Joe/Jane Sixpack Windoze User to
install Python - 95% of them wouldn't even bother.

Cheers
David