Production Pyrex Re: [Pyrex] Pyrex at Pycon

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Apr 1 08:03:09 CEST 2004

> I would like Greg to be the BDFL for "Pyrex Pro" (for lack of a better
> name) as well as his Pyrex. So I'll formally ask him: Greg, would you do it?
>
> The only caveat is that BDFL is a very different kind of role to what
> he's done in Pyrex. He would have to commit to reviewing other people's
> proposals and implementations in a timely fashion.

I can't honestly make any such commitment, so I will have
to decline.

I wouldn't really feel comfortable being BDFL of someone
else's project anyway. The leader of that project is entitled
to decide to follow whatever I decide for Pyrex, but I would
be loathe to make decisions on anything before I've had a
chance to try them out in Pyrex myself first.

I'm happy to give some guidance as to what I'm thinking
about for the future, but I wouldn't be able to promise
not to change my mind, and wouldn't be able to guarantee
that the answer to any particular question wouldn't be
"I don't know yet".

> In the early days of Python, Guido did 95% of the implementation.

Pyrex is still very much in that stage, or even earlier
(i.e. 100% implementation). It hasn't even reached version
1.0 yet, remember!