[Pyrex] Newbie Question (problems with GCC)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Apr 16 14:49:07 CEST 2004

At 08:54 AM 4/16/04 +0100, Voidspace wrote:
>In actual the reply from Greg might contain the answer to my further
>difficulties :-)
>
>However - below are the resutls of my *failed* experiments last
>night.............
>
>I thought I'd followed the instructions in :
>http://randomthoughts.vandorp.ca/syncato/WK/blog/758_Simple_instructions_to_compile_python_C_extensions_in_windows.item
>to the letter !
>(Thanks for the replies by the way - both Phillip and Greg).
>
>Now the 'random thoughts' page says that after installing MinGW
>successfully and adding a disutils.cfg file (which didn't exist
>already).... I ought to be able to compile extensions from disutils
>automagically.................
>
>However it seems that maybe :
>
>  python setup.py build_ext --compiler=mingw32
>
>is the right way instead.... (I'll try it when I get home)

Where did you put the distutils.cfg?  It has to go in your
Python2X\Lib\distutils directory.  Mine looks like this:

[build]
compiler=mingw32

If you have that in place, you should never need the --compiler flag.  In
the two years I've had that file, I've never needed --compiler or -c.

Second, did you actually build a 'libpython2x.a' file?  You didn't mention
that.  If you didn't do that, you're not going to be able to actually build
a .pyd.  See step 2 on this page:

http://sebsauvage.net/python/mingw.html

(By the way, whenever I refer to "python2x" I mean e.g. python22 or
python23, as appropriate for what version you're using.)

>F:\Python Projects\c>gcc -shared primes.o -o primes.so

That won't work.  Windows uses '.pyd' files, not '.so' files.  And, you've
got no -L here to specify where your libpython is at.