[Pyrex] Should Pyrex be in standard Python?

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 01:21:29 CET 2004

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Pyrex is a staggering idea.
>
> From the point of view of a C programmer it could be thought of as C
> with garbage collection, objects, exceptions and a nice syntax (i.e.
> for loops).
>
> For a C++ programmer it could be thought of as C++ without all of the
> cruft that nobody likes or can figure out.
>
> For a Java programmer it could be a more dynamic Java with
> integrations into
>
> For a Python programmer it is a) an easy way of making Python
> extensions, b) a way of MASSIVELY speeding up Python code. It should
> be a tool in every Python programmer's toolbox.
>
> I believe that Pyrex should be MUCH more popular than it is. It just
> lacks marketing. I'm putting together a few articles and talks (anyone
> else talking at PyCon?) to start filling that gap. I've been told that
> there are several outlets for magazine articles.
>
>  Paul Prescod

Do you have an example?  I'm thinking of, perhaps, a simple gtk version
of "Hello, World!", with the string stored in a python string, and the
calls to gtk being executed directly from pyrex.

It seems to me that such a thing would be a nice addition to the web page.

Also, do you have any relative timings for pyrex and C executed over the
exact same code (well, in translation of course but literal
translation).  I know that Python provides increased flexibility, but
how much do you need to pay over the areas where that isn't needed?