[Pyrex] Question about +=, -=, *=, etc.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:00:02 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a timeframe for the implementation of the in-place
operators, and whether 'user votes' can influence this.  I read Greg's recent
emails on the topic from the archives of may-2004.  So I understand he
considers other priorities come first.  I'd really like to use Pyrex for my
code, especially now that I see there are good examples of how to deal with
Numeric arrays.

However, the critical path of my codes relies heavily on things like:

for i in long_list:
	my_array += some_function(i)

For code like this, which is performance-critical, pyrex sounds great.  I
can't write the whole thing in Fortran, because there's key reliance on python
dicts for many things in there.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue (consider my email a 'vote' for
these features, in case it matters :)

Best regards,

Fernando.