[Pyrex] Pyrex "setup.py install" fails to find a file

Parzival Herzog parzp at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 10 06:19:00 CEST 2004

Retrieving and attempting to install Pyrex 0.9.2.1, this happens:

[root at S01060050bf177d8f Pyrex-0.9.2.1]# python setup.py install
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Examining my user/lib/python2.3 directory, I find no "config" directory. I am using Python 2.3
as installed from rpms in the Mandrake 9.2 distribution.

I don't really wish to install a new Python from source: I have tried that and the newly, installed
version will neither fully replace the distro version, nor can it be used separately without confusion,
nor can it be cleanly uninstalled. So to do this, I would need coaching in how to get over the problems
I have experienced. Right now I'd just like to try Pyrex with the Mandrake 9.2 distro version of Python
(version 2.3.0).

Can someone help me to get past this?

--
-- Parzival