[Pyrex] Pyrex versus ctypes

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Mon Jun 14 02:11:03 CEST 2004

Bryan Weingarten wrote:
 > i've used both pyrex and ctypes to wrap a complex c library at work

Thanks for that Bryan.

Kinda confirmed my gut feeling - that ctypes might exhibit flakiness at
unpredictable times.

This is where I like Pyrex - if things really go leg-up, one can always
RTFCS, and run ddd as desperation requires. I imagine that this is not
so easy with ctypes. And, I've only come across one serious bug in
Pyrex, which Greg seemed to nail pretty quickly.

Also, I smell a distinct speed penalty with ctypes.

Now, if only Pyrex had an auto-header-file-munge-o-matic...

Cheers
David