[Pyrex] Pyrex on Mac OS X

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 00:11:08 CET 2004

On Nov 22, 2004, at 23:51, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2004, at 9:27 AM, Justin Walker wrote:
[snip]
>> OK, you got me there.  I don't think I have a non-standard compiler
>> installed.  (FWIW, Xcode is an IDE, not a compiler).  I just compile
>> the result of using 'pyrexc' [which is v. 0.9.3, installed in the
>> Python.framework tree] with gcc.
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing your point.  I'm new to this kind of development.
>
> Xcode is the IDE and also the name of the tool suite, which includes
> the gcc toolchain.  They don't call it Developer Tools anymore.
>
> Anyway, in order to get that error, you must have something
> non-standard installed that is getting tangled into this build causing
> incorrect output.  Fink, maybe?

I have both fink and darwinport bits installed, but nothing from the
toolchain.  That's all Apple, updated to the latest I'm aware of.

The problem turned out to be stale data.  For some reason, I was able
to import and run setup without complaint, but it did nothing.  An old
copy of the ".so" was hanging around, so when I ran the script that
needed it, the old copy was found.

My current state is:
   - if I run python on setup.py (python setup.py build_ext --inplace),
     I get a boat-load of complaints about unreferenced variables, but
     the compile succeeds and produces a ".so"
   - I can run my python script and use the "pyrexed" C functions from
the .so
   - I can't import/run setup in a python session; the attempt causes
python to
     exit to shell.

I am now trying out ipython, which seems to provide a bit more
information.  Is this the right list to continue my search for a
solution?

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | "Weaseling out of things is