[Pyrex] Unused variables

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Dec 1 23:44:40 CET 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:

 > Pyrex is generating
 > code with unused labels and variables and with static declarations for
 > things that aren't defined.  I wasn't sure if this was normal

Yes, it's normal, and yes it's not ideal, but fixing
it is non-trivial.

Elias Pschernig wrote:

> I get the same here. And I agree, would be nice to fix this. Maybe
> simply the -Wall could somehow be removed from the distutils process?

I looked into doing that once, but it's not easy.
Distutils doesn't provide the -Wall itself, it just
uses whatever compiler options your Python installation
is set up to use by default. The internals of Distutils
are sufficiently convoluted that I gave up trying to
find a way of overriding it.

Instead I hacked the Makefile of my Python installation
to remove the -Wall.

Someone with a better knowledge of Distutils internals
is welcome to have another go at this.