[Pyrex] pyrex for parrots?

Michal Wallace michal at sabren.com
Wed May 25 04:48:26 CEST 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 24, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:
>
>> Michal Wallace wrote:

>>> It seems like pyrex could benefit from the same kind of
>>> refactoring... Then you could have separate backends to create
>>> modules for for cpython, jython (using JNI), pirate, IronPython,
>>> and whatever else crops up. Have you thought about doing something
>>> like that?

>> I hadn't. It's an interesting idea, although changing
>> the target language is likely to have implications for
>> the Pyrex language itself, not just the compiler --
>> currently it's heavily oriented towards C.

> Sounds more like the kind of effort that should be put into PyPy,
> rather than Pyrex, since it more or less boils out of what they're
> already doing.

I think pirate is a good candidate for
a pypy backend...

But I was actually talking about creating
extension modules that interface with C.
You'd still need the "cdef" and other type
information that pyrex supports.

The backends would still be outputting C
code, but styled to work with that particular
virtual machine.

In jython's case you might have to output
both C *and* java wrappers. I'm not sure.
But maybe this is just duplicating swig...

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.
contact: michal at sabren.com