[Pyrex] Wrapping _randommodule.c

Simon Frost sdfrost at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 31 16:44:11 CET 2005

Dear Pyrex List,

I'd like to be able to access the internals of the RandomType object, as
defined in _randommodule.c, so I can generate random numbers within C code.
It's defined as follows:

typedef struct {
	PyObject_HEAD
	unsigned long state[N];
	int index;
} RandomObject;

Random numbers are then generated using:

static PyObject * random_random(RandomObject *self);

What I would like to do is to generate a random number class generated
within Python

 >> import random
 >> rng=random.Random(1)

and then pass it to functions in Pyrex.

My questions are:
1. How do I link against _randommodule?
2. RandomObject is a struct containing a PyObject, which Pyrex doesn't
like. What's the usual workaround (except pass)?
3. How do I perform the type conversion which allows me to pass the
Python-generated object to random_random?

Thanks!
Simon