[Pyrex] New Distutils implementation for Pyrex.

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Aug 4 08:17:37 CEST 2007

Billy G. Allie wrote:
>  Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Billy G. Allie wrote:
>>> pyrex-cplus: tells Pyrex to use the C++ compiler to compile the
>>> generated file.
>>>
>> Is this not handled by the "language" parameter in the
>> distutils.core.Extension used in setup.py
>>
> If Pyrex is not told to use the C++ compiler, it will generate a '.c'
> file instead of a '.cpp' file.
>>
>>> pyrex-create-listing: tells Pyrex to place error messages in a
>>> listing (.lis) file.
>>>
>> I'm not sure this should be an extra option--it can be accomplished
>> easier by piping to a file (or something else for that manner).
>>
> Basically, the pyrex- options were added to allow the existing options
> for the Pyrex compiler to be  given in the setup.py file.  The pyrex
> compiler accepts an option to generate a listing file, so this option
> exists.
>> Currently in Cython one can do cross-directory imports (like in
>> python--essential for a project with 100's of extension modules), and
>> this doesn't look like it respects that.
>>
> The pyrex-include-dirs option only specifies additional directory to
> search for include files (i.e. the -I option to pyrexc).

Hmmm, this sounds a lot like we don't really needed these options if
Cython/Pyrex evaluated the options already present in the Extensions objects.
I don't see much of an advantage in duplicating them.

And I also think that redirecting the output to a file is best done with a
shell or in your favourite IDE.