[Pyrex] New Distutils implementation for Pyrex.

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Mon Aug 6 19:48:05 CEST 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 10:41 PM, Billy G. Allie wrote:

> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Then it should know about the "language" option rather than
>> requiring its own one.
> >From my reading of the 'language' option, it's supposed to tell
> setup.py what language the extension is written in when setup.py
> can't determine the language from the file extent.  Expanding it's
> semantics for Pyrex/Cython use doesn't make sense to me.  I would
> also point out that the SWIG support also has a flag to tell swig
> to generate C++ as opposed to C and does not use the 'language'
> option for this.

As I understand it, Pyrex/Cython uses the language option to generate
either a .c or .cpp file, which is then (correctly) handled by
setup.py. Could you please clarify what is not supported/possible in
the current implementation that you are trying to enable/fix?

Though I would probably never use it, I am not opposed to having
extra include paths that can be specified for pxd, pxi, etc. files.

I would rather to the least patching of distutils possible, it seems
most if not all of this stuff can be specified in setup.py.

- Robert