[Pyrex] Pyrex idioms and optimizations?

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:48:22 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Jim Kleckner <jek-gmane at kleckner.net> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why not use SourceForge?

With my other main project (SAGE -- http://sagemath.org) I had generally
unpleasant experiences with sourceforge, at least in comparison to
other options (self hosting and google's offerings).  I have things pretty
well regarding self-hosting (the university of washington
provides me good support, and I have good hardware).

>  > As part of the SAGE project, and due to the difficulty in getting
>  > some essential (to us) patches upstream, we have been keeping a
>  > separate branch of Pyrex named SageX. It's just Pyrex + (a bunch of
>  > patches), about many of which are optimizations (including the one
>  > mentioned above, which is a 10-fold speedup).
>
> Is SageX a proper superset of the current Pyrex?

Yes, in some sense; we did merge in the latest official Pyrex release.
However, there is legal Pyrex code that won't compile in SageX (since
we think it shouldn't be legal), and of course vice versa.

> i.e., the version
> string in the code base says:
>   version = '0.9.4.1'
> but the current is:
>   0.9.5.1a

Thanks for pointing that out! We will update that.

> Getting the code into SourceForge or codespeak using subversion would
> allow Greg's mainline code to exist in a branch and then apply
> the changes to that code to the trunk as changes occur.

We're currently using Mercurial (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/)
for SCM for SageX and view Greg's code as existing in another Mercurial
repository, which we occasionally merge into our repository.
The hg repository for SageX is included in the SageX tarball.
Anybody who gets a copy of SageX can create patches, etc.,
and send them around.

> >> What about "Pyreks" or "Pyfix"? Or maybe just "Pyrex2".
> >
> > We thought of some of these names.  I'm worried that Pyrex2 might just be
> > annoying to Greg, since it basically says our project is the next version of
> > Pyrex or something.  Pyreks is tempting, but I think it is only fair to Pyrex
> > to choose a genuinely different name than "Pyrex".  I'm not sure what
> > the motivation for "Pyfix" is.     My viewpoint might completely change if
> > Greg were to comment on all this.
>
> Greg, I'm very grateful for your work and you respond amazingly fast
> to a wide variety of queries.  Can you at least respond about
> whether it would bother you to set up a repository for the code?

I agree. I'm incredibly grateful to Greg as well!  Pyrex is one of the
main reasons
I choose Python for the SAGE project, and I've used it a huge amount
during the last few years.  It's an incredibly useful tool.

 -- William