[Pyrex] Pyrex idioms and optimizations?

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:09:06 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Chris Mellon <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Getting the code into SourceForge or codespeak using subversion would
> > allow Greg's mainline code to exist in a branch and then apply
> > the changes to that code to the trunk as changes occur.
> >

> For what it's worth, when I tried compiling my current Pyrex projects
> with Sagex I ran into 2 problems. One was relatively trivial - sagex
> produces a GCC-specific output - and the other was that there was a
> runtime crash (access violation) using my sagex compiled code. Since I
> was just checking quickly I didn't have the time to set up a debug
> Python environment (it's a fair amount of work on Windows) to find try
> to find the error, although I did scan the generated source for
> anything obviously wrong and found nothing. So for at least one sample
> case, no, it's not a strict superset of Pyrex functionality.

Thanks for testing this.  We don't use SageX in Windows at all (SAGE
development is all Linux and OS X), and everybody who builds/uses SAGE
uses GCC, so we haven't done any testing with other compilers.
Some of the goals of having an official new project (called CompiledPython)
would be to address problems like the ones you mention above.  Again,
thanks for making me aware of them.

 -- William