[Pyrex] Fwd: [sage-devel] Re: Cython-0.9.6

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 01:26:16 CEST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mabshoff <Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Jul 28, 2007 4:20 PM
Subject: [sage-devel] Re: Cython-0.9.6
To: sage-devel <sage-devel at googlegroups.com>

On Jul 28, 11:39 pm, "William Stein" <wst... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Pyrex List and Sage-devel,

Hey William,

> I've released Cython-0.9.6 athttp://www.cython.org/.   I hope Cython
> can be thought
> of as a "bleading edge" derivative of Pyrex (not a fork).  Cython has
> a specific longterm
> goal of being included in the main distribution of Python.  The main
> changes from
> the previous cython release are:
>
>    * I changed Pyrex to Cython in most places and pyrexc to cython, etc., so
>      it should now be possible to install both Pyrex and Cython side-by-side
>      in the same Python install.
>    * The website has a fancy new logo that Stefan Behnel designed, along
>      with a launchpad feature and bug tracker.
>    * This release includes all the code from lxml-pyrex (Stefan Behnel) and
>      the code from the latest official version of pyrex.
>    * There is now a cython-specific mailing list:
>        http://groups.google.com/group/cython
>
> The issues involving MSVC++ have not been fixed yet.  If somebody could
> send me a patch (plain text or whatever) to fix them, that would be greatly
> appreciated, as I don't have MSVC++.

The problem with "likely" and "unlikely" is actually taken into
consideration (see line 2606 in Nodes.py):

if Options.gcc_branch_hints:
    branch_prediction_macros = \
    """
#define likely(x)   __builtin_expect(!!(x), 1)
#define unlikely(x) __builtin_expect(!!(x), 0)
    """
else:
    branch_prediction_macros = \
    """
#define likely(x)   (x)
#define unlikely(x) (x)
    """

I downloaded cython-0.96 from http://www.cython.org/cython-0.9.6.tgz,
but any potential fix is not mentioned in the log (as of changeset 3).
I am not sure which code failed to compile. Was it one of the
examples?

The problem with inline could be handled in the same way as
Options.gcc_branch_hints.

Cheers,

Michael

sage-devel-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com