[Pyrex] [Mac Inter Core Duo OS 10.4.9 ] Next question: cmd line build of init

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Thu Jun 7 15:08:34 UTC 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 24:19 , David Goldsmith wrote:

> I'm compiling w/ cc and linking w/ ld (at first I was trying to
> compile
> w/ gcc, but while I was having problems, I found a book "Advanced OS X
> Programming" or some such and their examples used cc and ld so I
> switched to that).

For the record, gcc and cc are the same on Mac OS X (unless you have
an unusual installation of developer tools):

$ ls -l /usr/bin/cc /usr/bin/gcc
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  7 May 10 06:57 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc-4.0
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  7 May 10 06:57 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.0

(i.e., the two names are symbolic links to the same specific version
of GCC).
If you see a difference in the two, that would be somewhat surprising
(although I suppose the compiler might behave differently, depending
on how it was called).

Also

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income