[Pyrex] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.6

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Oct 7 20:42:25 CEST 2007

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Can anybody please comment on the difference of cython
> and this new release of pyrex?
> Are the converging, diverging or developing
> in parallel?

All of those. :)

Pyrex 0.9.6 is catching up with a couple of optimisations that Cython already
features and later versions will likely integrate more of those.

This release also introduces a couple of incompatible changes, though, such as
the language interface to the C-API. Cython might follow here, but that's not
decided yet. From what I read, the way Pyrex does it looks quite clean and
clearly separates the "public" functions from "api" functions. I'll have to
look a closer look at it first, though.

Both projects are currently developing in parallel, though it is certainly in
the interest of both to keep the gap small. Cython usually is a lot faster in
adding new optimisations and integrating patches, so it also serves as a kind
of test bed for new developments. However, it seems that Greg will likely add
them as well - though in his way and when he finds the time (which has been in
the order of months to more than a year lately).