[Pyrex] Source Control System (was: Re: ANN: Pyrex 0.9.6)

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:33:00 CEST 2007

On 10/8/07, Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> wrote:

> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > If you want to try GIT, just install version >= 1.5 and "git init",
> > "git add" and then "git commit", that's the basics, but you'll find
> > tons of reference manuals, tutorials, cheat sheets and even crash
> > course for CVS and SVN users. Newer versions work on Linux, MacOS and
> > even Windows.
>
> If you go to the descentralized way, I would rather suggest mercurial.
> The tool used in OpenSolaris, for example. And written in python!.
>
> """
> [root at tesalia sources]# du -k opensolaris|tail -1
> 469885  opensolaris
> """
>
> Almost 500MB... not bad!.
>
> But for such an small project (pyrex), you would be better server by
> subversion, probably, specially if windows programmers are expected to
> use the system (subversion windows support is excellent).

The only good thing about HG is that Cython uses it, other than that
it's slow as hell. I'm fine with either HG or even Subversion, but be
aware that if we go the SVN route using this read-only approach, we'll
have more work to do, since its tools to merge remote branches are
bad.
   I just suggested the decentralized approach since Greg wants to
keep his own repository.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com