[Pyrex] Source Control System

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:48:24 CEST 2007

On 10/11/07, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Jesus Cea wrote:
> > What is doing exactly your backup procedure?.
>
> 1) Insert Zip disk
> 2) make backup (creates a dated .tar.gz of my source directory)
> 3) Eject Zip disk
>
> I gave myself a crash course in svn the other night,
> and set up a local repository to play around with.
>
> One sticking point at the moment is that svn doesn't
> seem to preserve Mac type/creator codes or resource
> forks. This would be a nuisance for me, because I
> have all my source files set to open in BBEdit
> with certain options, and I'd be disappointed to
> lose all of that setup.
>
> Does anyone know of a good free SCM that understands
> the Mac properly?

I don't think there is such software.

I don't know BBEdit, but most editos (emacs, vim...) have a way to
specify these options in a scriptable way using a config file. For
example, I help with various C projects, each with their own coding
style, so I map the correct style to use based on file path. Most
editors can also benefit from a header/footer lines with instructions,
like # -*- coding: utf-8, mode: pyrex -*-     (emacs).

As for SVN, it's an improvement, but I beg you to use a distributed
system (git, mercurial, bazar, ...) if you want to have a read-only
online repository, it will make easier for us to help and keep track
of changes. (we can also use the tool, instead of keeping our patches
in another tool like quilt, or other repository).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com