[Pyrex] Source Control System

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Oct 13 05:23:05 CEST 2007

Nicholas Bastin wrote:

> On 12 Oct , 2007, at 12:48 , Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>
 >> most editos (emacs, vim...) have a way to
 >> specify these options in a scriptable way using a config file.

That's all right for settings that apply to all files of
a certain type, but not all of the settings I'm talking
about are like that.

>> Most
>> editors can also benefit from a header/footer lines with instructions,
>> like # -*- coding: utf-8, mode: pyrex -*-     (emacs).
>
> BBEdit actually understands these directives to the level that it can

The fact that BBEdit keeps settings in resource forks turns
out to be rather useful for certain things I'm doing.

For example, each of my test files has a current .c output
file and a corresponding reference file. I have these set to
open in certain positions on the screen with certain display
options, that makes it easy for me to open up a test/reference
pair when a test fails and compare them with each other.

Because the settings are in a separate fork, I only have to
set them up once for each test file. Pyrex can happily overwrite
the contents of the .c file with new test output without
disturbing any of the settings, and I can likewise copy the
contents of the output file to the reference file, once I
determine it to be correct, without disturbing the reference
file's settings.

--
Greg