[Pyrex] Source Control System

Nicholas Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Sat Oct 13 22:53:05 CEST 2007

On 13 Oct , 2007, at 06:36 , Greg Ewing wrote:
> I'm not keen on invisible files, generally. They don't show
> up at all in the Finder, for one thing, so it's easy to forget
> they're there an lose them when dragging stuff from one place
> to another.

Once you switch to a revision control system, dragging things in the
finder is pretty much out.  What you are doing is relinquishing OS
control over your files in exchange for a perfect version history.

> Incidentally, one of the things that bothers me about svn is
> the necessity to be scrupulously careful about using the svn
> commands to move and rename files, etc, instead of the normal
> OS ones, which also rules out any use of the Finder for these
> things.

Once you switch to any decent source control system, you'll have to
use its' commands to move/rename/delete files.  If your source
control system versions file and directory metadata (and you want it
to), then you have to use non-OS commands to reflect changes in that
metadata, such for moving, deleting and renaming.

> Although if the entire history is kept in the working directory,
> it sounds like the amount to be backed up every day will grow
> larger and larger over time, which doesn't sound so good.

In a centralized system, the version history is stored on the
server.  In a distributed system, it's handled in various ways, but
it can cause local repositories to be larger.

--
Nick