[Pyrex] Speeding up custom string lowercasing with Pyrex

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 16:23:48 CET 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Francesc Altet wrote:
> Here is a raw implementation of what Stefan is saying: [...awesome
> Pyrex!...]
> On my machine, this is around 500 times faster than your first try.

Thanks Francesc, Stefan, Yannick, and everybody else -- great
advice!  Yannick was correct, too -- translate()-based rulower did it
in 5 min 14 sec, while Francesc's version came close second with 5
min 36 sec.  But Francesc's Pyrex example, based on Stefan's
suggestions, is very instructive and I'll surely use it as a basis
for similar fast-scan functions on strings.

Cheers,
Alexy