[Pyrex] error: conversion to non-scalar type requested

Daniele Pianu muogoro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:56:09 CEST 2008

Suppose this code

# getIstance return a long, that is a pointer to a in_addr struct
cdef in_addr tmp
tmpinPtr = in_.getIstance()
tmp = <in_addr>tmpinPtr[0]

# in this function gcc gives me an error
func( tmp )

I take a pointer to a in_addr struct as a python long from the getIstance
method. Then, I need to call a C function and pass a in_addr struct by
value. With pyrex C the pyrex code compiles with no problems. But gcc gives
me the error in mail's subject.

error: conversion to non-scalar type requested

How can I pass the structure by value deferencing a python long and casting
it as the struct type I need?

(I've wrote similiar code for function where I pass the structure by
reference and there's no problems.)