[Pyrex] Python 3

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at skynet.be
Mon Apr 28 16:49:33 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've just noticed that there is currently a thread on the Python3k
mailing list about C-extensions.

It looks as if SWIG needs some functionality which isn't
available any longer, e.g.

   From: Alex Martelli <aleaxit at gmail.com>
 Subject: Re: [Python-3000] Binding builtin function to class
    Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:14:10 -0700
      To: Haoyu Bai <divinekid at gmail.com>
      Cc: python-3000 at python.org

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Haoyu Bai <divinekid at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Yes, these are the very problems I encountered. I think the using of
> "new.instancemethod" is for speed, because in SWIG's command line, the
> "-fastproxy" option enabled it:
>
>  -fastproxy      - Use fast proxy mechanism for member methods
>
>  So what we expect is to find a way doing this in Python 3, as fast as the
> "new.instancemethod".

Essentially a descriptor type with a suitable __get__, right?  And
C-coded if it needs to be that fast. Is this a SWIG-specific issue (so
that SWIG can take care of it in the C code it generates or links) or
sufficiently general to warrant an addition to the Python core?
Instinctively I think the latter, but can't easily think of another
usecase beyond SWIG (and perhaps similar tools such as Boost or SIP).

Alex
-----------------------------------

What about pyrex / cython ?

Perhaps it's not too late to get a foot into the door of Python 3
if pyrex/cython needs some functionality which is currently lost
in Python 3.

Many thanks to you working on Pyrex/Cython.
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik