[Pyrex] [Cython] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.8

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat May 17 12:00:54 CEST 2008

Kirill Smelkov wrote:

> http://hg.cython.org/pyrex/
>
> So, I think everyone would be grateful to you if you'll keep it up-to-date.

I've just added an hg push command to my upload script,
so it should happen fairly automatically now.

> Yes, you'll loose precise control on what Pyrex is, but given there is a shell of
> motivated people around, I think Pyrex and you will gain much more in return ...
>
> That's how I think ...
> Please let me know *your* thoughts.

What worries me is that if multiple people are hacking on the
Pyrex source at once, I'm going to lose track of how it works,
and then I won't be able to contribute to it myself any more.

Python has many people working on it, but it's a lot simpler
in structure. It's fairly easy to work on things like adding
a new object or library module without fear of disturbing
anything else.

The various parts of Pyrex are much more closely coupled than
that. I have to think long and hard before changing anything,
and I'm the one who wrote it.

Also, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the pace of change going on
in the Cython project. It seems to be heading off in
directions rather different from Pyrex, such as turning
into a Python compiler, and/or a NumPy compiler, and folks
are rushing into making changes for py3k, when I've hardly
begun to think about what I want to do about that.

If all that were happening to Pyrex itself, I wouldn't be
able to keep up. So it would either race ahead of me, or
I would be holding it back.

So I think it's probably a good thing having Cython as a
separate project where people are free to try out all their
wild ideas. Then when the dust has settled I can take the
best ideas and fold them back into Pyrex.

Think of it as the "Pyrex-Unstable" branch if you like. :-)

--
Greg