[Pyrex] [Cython] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.8

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Wed May 21 21:11:02 CEST 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 4:18 AM, Kirill Smelkov wrote:

> В сообщении от Вторник 20 мая 2008 Stefan
> Behnel написал(a):
>> Kirill Smelkov wrote:

>>> Yes, I'll think of Cython as Pyrex-Unstable (or Pyrex-
>>> Experimental :) from
>>> now on.
>>
>> I don't think that's consistent with the way the Cython project
>> sees itself.
>
> Oops :)

To clarify, I think the main difference between Cython and Pyrex is
that Cython aims to be a good Python compiler, not just a way to
create extension types. I think most of the differences in philosophy
can be traced back to this point.

Also, in terms of development, Greg wants to review and understand
every line that goes into Pyrex, which makes it slower to accept new
features. We still do quality review on the code contributed to
Cython but the process is much more open. In this case it is more
experimental, but I would say it's developing into more than just
another branch of Pyrex. In terms of stability, I wouldn't say Cython
is any worse than Pyrex in terms of finding bugs in releases, and
both tend to fix bugs relatively quickly.

- Robert