[Pyrex] compiler requires explicit cast?

horace horace3d at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:36:33 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> horace wrote:
>
>  i got it to compile by manually replacing this:
>>
>> __pyx_t_2 = PyInt_FromLong(((long)LoadIcon(((void *)((long)__pyx_t_3)),
>> ((char *)1))));
>>
>> with this:
>>
>> __pyx_t_2 = PyInt_FromLong(((long)LoadIcon(((HINSTANCE)((long)__pyx_t_3)),
>> ((char *)1))));
>>

> If the above two lines of C code aren't equivalent, then
> HINSTANCE must be getting defined as something different
> from void * from the C compiler's point of view.
>
> At this point, if I were using gcc I would run it with
> -M to find out what HINSTANCE is getting expanded into.
> Not sure how to do that in a Windows environment, though.

i wasn't able to find any different HINSTANCE definition than void * but it
could be that i missed the right one. it's really hard to find something
like that on windows. maybe i will look for some tool which allows regular
expressions for searching. i will also try to find out if i can do something
like -M with the visual c++ compiler. thanks!

> BTW, it appears that you're actually using Cython, not Pyrex,
> because
>
>  cdef HMODULE h = GetModuleHandle(<char *>0)
>
> is not valid Pyrex code. You may want to ask about this
> on the Cython list. The code that Pyrex generates for
> what you posted earlier is quite different (although it
> probably wouldn't work any better in this situation).

yes, i am using cython. i think i read somewhere that cython questions can
or should also be asked on the pyrex list but i will look for the cython
list next time. sorry!