[Pyrex] Pyrex Digest, Vol 55, Issue 3

Kenny MacDermid kenny at cs.dal.ca
Tue Jul 21 23:05:39 CEST 2009

On 21-Jul-09, at 9:46 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:

> Answers inline:
>
>> I'd like to know if there's any way to import a pyrex module and
>> still have the python interactive interpreter handle errors as
>> before.
>>
>> For example, normally if I type:

>> I get a standard NameError, and then another '>>>' line
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>> NameError: name 'abc' is not defined
>>>>>

> It always behaved like that for me
>
>> ...but if I first import a pyrex module then I get the same
>> traceback, but then no '>>>' line. Python just quits.
>
> That would suggest a segmentation fault in your pyrex module.

Thank you for your reply. It didn't turn out to be that, but knowing
it wasn't pyrex I found what actually caused it.

Somewhere down the import path a fellow dev had overridden
sys.excepthook to add custom logging, and put sys.exit() at the end.

I should have tried it on a simple case first, but someone told me
that's just the way pyrex works, and it sounded logically enough that
recovery from C land would be impossible.

Thanks again,

Kenny