[Pyrex] possible bug in Pyrex

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Feb 25 08:49:40 CET 2010

Péter Szabó, 24.02.2010 19:13:
>> Any reason you can't just use Cython in the meantime?
>
> I'm already doing so, so I don't need this fix urgently. But
> eventually it would be nice to have a speed and code size comparison
> between Cython and Pyrex.

As a general rule of thumb, the code generated by Cython is quite a bit
longer and substantially faster than the corresponding Pyrex code.

The increase in code size is due to a general preference for speed, as many
Cython developers use it for highly performance critical stuff like number
crunching. It's not only faster for algorithmic code, though, it's also a
lot faster for thin wrapper code and even for pure Python code. And it runs
a substantial part of the CPython test suite by now.