[Uffau] well-worked-out

Nona Price NonaPrice at mail.ru
Thu Jul 20 15:08:59 UTC 2006

=======================================
Better  not think  about your father  now, you'd  be  better off not
saying
means that  I really am a good guy, after all. That's what Guta insists,
and
     "I don't need that for courage, Mr. Schuhart.  I'd rather have
coffee,
with  sandwiches and a thermos of coffee. While Arthur set up the
sandwiches
neck. Redrick joined him. But he did not look where Arthur was looking.
like in the Zone. No, that's all nonsense. He's not the first to have
beggedhis eyes, probably because  he no longer had eyebrows or
eyelashes.  Arthur
     "Brrrrrr."  Arthur shivered. "It gets into  your bones.  Mr.
Schuhart,
     Redrick said nothing. Thanks! You fell apart, and I had to rescue
you.
keep us from having the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. What do you know,
fatso?stalker to fall into the  meatgrinder and live. He was lucky. The
fool still
     Arthur heaved a sigh, stepped over the rails, and started down
sideways
about that. If that should happen, I'll drag you back here. I promise.
Look,
if I may. It's awfully damp here, isn't it?"
rock. That was the only landmark. They had to head for it, depending on
dumb
stalker, no grumbling now, you knew what you were getting into. Five
hundred
sparse  thickets of willows, and the horizon, beyond  the hills, was
filledthe rock, Redrick looked back at the embankment.  It was brightly
lit by the
suddenly exploded without any warning like a hydrogen bomb The assistant
who
corner of his eye. He's  scared, he thought. He must sense  it. If his
sensenot dissolving with time, but  on the contrary, it was
accumulating. And  he
from here, lies Poodle. In the same condition. Do you understand?
Forward."
keep us from having the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. What do you know,
fatso?
sorry that he had not taken his sunglasses.
clumps of dirt flew  in all directions. And only then did Redrick look
up at
stood over him.     Redrick  looked  at  him distractedly,  saw the
disheveled  and glued-
exposed. At every peal Redrick watched Arthur's long  hair stand on end
and
worn  shoes and shoved them on the  floor of the closet, and stalked off
when he came  home, hungry,  gloomy, with red wild eyes. And  Redrick
wouldthis enough? But he knew that it wasn't. He knew that millions upon
millions
workers showed up here for  the moulage. There were two lab assistants,
both
blocked  by the  hill  with the burned-out tree on its rise.  He had  to
 go
when he came  home, hungry,  gloomy, with red wild eyes. And  Redrick
would
head down, could not stand it. He yelled his lungs out.
among  the rocks  and rubble stood a  bulldozer, its lowered  bucket
jammed
and took the Bask from Arthur.     "Guta!" he  shouted. "Are you going
to  starve  us much  longer? She's
     "Why don't you get up?" Redrick said without turning around toward
him.
and it was no longer stiff and bristly, but soft and crumbly--it was
falling     Arthur  wanted to say  something, but  kept silent,  took
the Army Colt
the pain, crawled on top of him, touching the leather jacket with his
burned
Guta. And not just of Guta, but of  Guta in her robe, fresh from sleep,
with
eyes, and took several slow sips.
looking at Redrick for orders. The  floor of the depression was covered
with
     Arthur  propped himself up, stuck his arm under  the truck,  and
pulledmelting in  the shade among  the  pebbles  and rocks, and there
was  another
Redrick looked at  it, the clearer it became that it was pleasant to
look at
impossible to see anything, but Redrick knew that a hilly  plain with
rubble
Arthur had only to stray a single foot from their path  for  Redrick's
mouthRedrick walked  behind him, and as soon  as he stepped out of the
shade, the
take it. Either he had not heard Redrick's shout, or he became scared
out of
     Redrick  looked  at  him distractedly,  saw the  disheveled  and
glued-
that the dry grass was not rustling underfoot but squeaking like
cornstarch,
staring at the wall. And he did not react when Noonan moved his glass
closer
his free  arm, crawled forward, never taking his eyes off the line where
the
was  getting  thicker, or maybe he was blacking out, and he  could no
longer     Noonan  started in on institute business,  and  while he  was
 talking,
pictured  his  face and laughed. When  Arthur turned  his frightened
face to
make? Five? Six? And now I wonder why? He's no relation. I'm not
responsibleplace. Redrick's  parboiled hands ached, and the backpack
kept bumping into