[Uffau] R eyes off the faintly marked path they were foll

Koos ragpicker at omig.com.pl
Sun Dec 6 19:00:45 CET 2009

; and so far as any one knew, had never shirked trouble, so that he
could not be called timid in the least. "No use hurrying, fellows,"
declared Seth, as he flung himself down on a log that happened to be
lying near the edge of a little precipice, marking the abrupt end of the
shelf which they had been following, so that to descend further the
scouts must pass around, and pick their way down the hillside. "That's
so," added Jotham, following suit, and taking great care not to knock
his precious bugle in the least when making the shift; "for one, I'm
dead tired after such a hard afternoon. But all the same, I want you to
know that I'm in apple-pie condition for that long hike, or will be,
after a night's rest." "What d'ye suppose made Mr. Sargeant offer a
prize if the Beaver Patrol could walk to Warwick by one road, and back
along another, a distance of just an even hundred miles, between sunrise
of four days?" and Fritz looked around at his five comrades as though
inviting suggestions. "Because he's fond of boys, I reckon," remarked
Andy. "They tell me he lost two splendid little fellows, one by
drowning, and the other through being lost in the forest; and when he
learned what sort of things the scouts practice, he said he was in favor
of encouraging them to the limit." "Well, we want to get busy, and show
Mr. Sargeant that we're going to give him a run for his money," said
Seth. "We've all seen the cup in the window of the jewelers in town, and
it sure is a beauty, and no mistake," added Jotham. "Don't anybody allow
himself to think we can't cover that hundred miles inside the time
limit. You know how Paul keeps telling us that confidence is more'n half
the battle," Fritz went on to say. "You pet we want dot gup, undt we're
yust bound to get der same," observed Noodles, who could talk quite as
well as any of h