[PP-main] Roadmap and notes.

lists at itsg.net.au lists at itsg.net.au
Tue Apr 4 06:41:45 CEST 2000

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> Licensing.
> We need to figure out the licensing scheme. Raph and I talked a bit about how
> this could be done, one of the ideas that came up was to let the content be
> freely distributable within member sites, and let the author define what
> policy he/she wanted for distribution outside of the Peer Press network
> (freely available, for money, or not at all being the options). Of course,
> this begs the question of what defines a site as being part of the network,
> will being a member require that you syndicate all your content, for
> instance? Opinions on this are very much welcomed. We should have a license
> working group as well, I know Raph should be on it, probably me, and whoever
> else who wants to and has some relevant experience/viewpoints.

i don't know about anyone else, but i consider the collection of royalties
and the control of information once it hits the internet impossible.

i believe that if the author wants to get paid, they should get paid
*prior* to the release of their work to the ppn (by a site that pays for
the right to run the content first, not to retain the rights to the
content).

once the content is on the network, it should be freely available (speech
and beer) under an appropriate license. trying to enforce it any other
way will probably result in wasting people's time - not to mention the
futility of such an effort.

i am really interested in the working group for this area.

> Software.
> Maybe the least important at this point, but could nicely be done in
> parallel, because it's going to take some time. The plan for software that
> was posted elsewhere looks like a good start, let's discuss that, and see if
> we can't set up a development team.

i don't know whether you are referring to what I wrote up, but i'll just
jump in here anyway 8^)

i think it is more important to have something to play with in 3 months
than to have a perfect design in 3 months. that is why i suggested the
tools i did. they may not be perfect (ie. PHP/mysql) but they allow fast
application development. once version 1 has been tested, the
project will have a lot more people interested in helping and version 2
can be re-written in whatever the team thinks is appropriate.

any feedback appreciated,

- avi