[PP-main] Image Syndication

Joakim Ziegler joakim at simplemente.net
Fri Mar 3 15:59:03 CET 2000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 11:09:58AM +0930, Nick Lothian wrote:
> I'd really like to see the system extended to allow image syndication - the
> way that non-online news agencies do it.

> I'm remembering the WTO riots last year, and how lots of people were taking
> pictures, but couldn't get them shown anywhere (or got Slashdotted when they
> tried). A reliable, free syndication network would have been great, them.

> Obviously, the potential for abuse is fairly great, and there are techinical
> issues (you probably want to make sure sites copy the picture from the
> original site, because of bandwidth problems).

I like this idea a lot. I'm a little skeptical about there being enough
material out there for this to be anything like a continuous feed, but I see
no harm, and a lot of potential benefit, in doing it.

The day someone, somewhere, pushes a photo into the system that an oppressive
government of some kind didn't want published, is the day that is all
worthwhile.

I say we go for it. It requires little modification to the system as it's
taking form right now, and the bandwidth issues are negligible, at least
until we start getting many submissions. It can just be distributed like the
news items, but in a separate category.

Joakim Ziegler - simplemente r&d director - joakim at simplemente.net
 FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer
      http://www.avmaria.com/ - http://www.simplemente.net/