[PP-main] Technical/implementation matters

Joakim Ziegler joakim at simplemente.net
Fri Mar 3 21:15:31 CET 2000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 03:03:18PM -0500, Rusty Foster wrote:
> Joakim Ziegler wrote:

>> My main issues against HTTP as the standard, only, or preferred protocol are
>> these:

>> * Lack of state.
>> * Need to send a lot of headers in every request, hence quite a bit of
>>   bandwidth overhead.
>> * Requires a HTTP server at the client sites if we want to do push with
>>   server-initiated connections.

> Ok, but they could just connect to the central (HTTP) server with a
> client, and submit stuff that way. There doesn't necessarily need to be
> "server push" per se.

I wasn't referring to the sites pushing new items into the feed. I was
referring to what I said earlier, about using a system where the server
pushes new items to the client as they arrive to the server, thus making
polling unnecessary.

>> I don't see a problem with making all the info available over HTTP as well.
>> It's minimal work to do this. However, we already have a more suitable
>> protocol almost finished, which is optimized for this sort of thing (it's
>> made for, amongst other things, Conglomerate), so we're going to make those
>> tools too, and supply them to the users. Freedom to choose. :)

> Can you write up a summary of the protocol you recommend, and post it,
> with an orientation toward why it's good for this service? Perhaps point
> us to the relevant docs as well (maybe you've already done this-- I
> don't remember)

Hans Petter is on the list, most likely he can give you a quick summary. The
tools we aim to use are based on Flux, which is at
http://projects.simplemente.net/flux/

There's quite a bit of docs there, but I think HP can give a quick summary
that's more slanted towards Peer Press specifically. If not, I will. :)

Joakim Ziegler - simplemente r&d director - joakim at simplemente.net
 FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer
      http://www.avmaria.com/ - http://www.simplemente.net/