[PP-main] working towards peer press 1.0

Joakim Ziegler joakim at simplemente.net
Fri Mar 31 21:23:42 CEST 2000

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 01:46:13PM +1000, lists at itsg.net.au wrote:

> just to clarify something (to myself, as well as everyone else 8^) ):

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 avi at itsg.net.au wrote:

>>   + images, audio, video, other:
>>     - MUST be based on a free (speech AND beer) codec/format.
>>

> + these data types should have their own codecs/formats, not share the
>   same one.
> + they MUST be free (speech AND beer) (-1, redundant)
> + "based on" was bad, bad phrasing. using an existing codec/format is
>   the best way to go.

Actually, I don't think based on a free codec is necessary for this. The
reason is that there aren't that many good codecs that are free, at least not
ones that are suited for online delivery.

Yes, we should probably prefer MP3 for sound, and MPEG for video, but I see
no problem with allowing content in Real media or Quciktime, for that matter.
If people want to distribute it, we shouldn't necessarily disallow that.

We could probably be stricter on images, given that all the suitable formats
are really free anyway (except GIF, but PNG does that job better).

Joakim Ziegler - simplemente r&d director - joakim at simplemente.net
 FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer
      http://www.avmaria.com/ - http://www.simplemente.net/