[PP-main] A W3C standard for syndication?

Joakim Ziegler joakim at simplemente.net
Fri Mar 31 21:28:24 CEST 2000

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 04:21:21PM +0930, Nick Lothian wrote:
> I just came across this (dated 26 October 1998):
> http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-ice

> Information and Content Exchange Protocol

> Abstract

> "This document describes the Information and Content Exchange protocol for
> use by content syndicators and their subscribers. The ICE protocol defines
> the roles and responsibilities of syndicators and subscribers, defines the
> format and method of content exchange, and provides support for management
> and control of syndication relationships. We expect ICE to be useful in
> automating content exchange and reuse, both in traditional publishing
> contexts and in business-to-business relationships."

> A (very) quick read seemed to indicate that it is basically what we are
> trying to do.

> Comments?

Looks good, in principle, at least. The main problem with it is that it's at
an early development stage, and seems to be derelict, there are no other
documents that I could find that follow up this initial note. Which means
that they've not taken the time to hash out the implementation problems and
details yet.

I say we roll our own (since this isn't even close to being finished anyway),
but look to ICE for ideas.

Joakim Ziegler - simplemente r&d director - joakim at simplemente.net
 FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer
      http://www.avmaria.com/ - http://www.simplemente.net/