[Pyrex] Team Pyrex Mission Statement

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Apr 11 22:00:16 CEST 2004

In order to kick this project off, it was suggested that I give a clear
mission statement of what we would and wouldn't try to do. Potential
project names:

  * Team Pyrex
  * OpenPyrex
  * Pyrex Pro (for PROduction-quality)

If this makes sense to people, I will set up the SourceForge project.

====

Team Pyrex is a project designed to allow the Pyrex community to more
effectively organize and contribute to the development of Pyrex. Team
Pyrex will manage the parts of the Pyrex development process that are
most effectively parallelized:

  * test cases
  * example programs
  * patch maintenance
  * bug research
  * frequently asked questions lists
  * marketing and evangelization
  * release management
  * integration and maintenance of tools around Pyrex like:
     * editor configuration files
     * development tools
     * import hooks

In other words, we will play the role that a Linux distributor does in
the Linux world. Greg Ewing remains the definer of the Pyrex language.

At first, Team Pyrex will use SourceForge for patch and code
maintenance. Probably it will do so for as long as Python itself does.
When Python moves, Team Pyrex will evaluate the possibility of moving
with it.

  Paul Prescod