[Pyrex] Team Pyrex Mission Statement

Lenard Lindstrom len-l at telus.net
Tue Apr 13 03:36:45 CEST 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:00:16 -0700 Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:

> In order to kick this project off, it was suggested that I give a clear
> mission statement of what we would and wouldn't try to do. Potential
> project names:
>
>   * Team Pyrex
>   * OpenPyrex
>   * Pyrex Pro (for PROduction-quality)
>
> If this makes sense to people, I will set up the SourceForge project.
Choice 3 - Pyrex Pro - sounds like a commercial version of Pyrex, though
having it on SourceForge makes it obvious this is not the case. I gather
from the mission statement and earlier postings that Team Pyrex is intended
as a mechanism for the release and support of final versions of Pyrex.
So with this in mind maybe project names like

* Official Pyrex
* Release Pyrex
* Pyrex Final

are more to the point.

Alternatively, in keeping with other SourceForge projects, simply call it
Pyrex; rename Greg Ewing's work instead, if he is agreeable to it.

* PyrexFork     (Like idlefork when Idle was upgraded for Python 2.3)
* x-pyrex         (Experimental Pyrex)

quicklly come to mind. Use 'Team Pyrex' to refer to the individuals and
organizations maintaining the SourceForge project.

These are merely the suggestions of an outsider. I hope they help. Some
questions though: What mailing lists will 'Team Pyrex' provide? Will this
mailing list continue as a forum for discussing changes and additions to
Pyrex (something like Python-dev)?

Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l at telus.net>