[Pyrex] Newbie Question (problems with GCC)

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Fri Apr 16 15:47:54 CEST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 02:03 PM 4/16/04 +0100, Voidspace wrote:
>
>> I've just done it (with setup.py) again and got the same result....
>>
>> 'Python was built with visual studio 6.. blah blah blah'
>>
>> When Pyrex is installed using it's :
>> setup.py install
>>
>> method - is the modification needed to disutils made automatically ?
>>
>> I'll try a reboot now that I'm *sure* i've followed all the
>> instructions.
>> Is the setup file ok ? I just edited one in the tutorial for building
>> the XSOD one....
>

> It looked fine to me.  Are you sure the version of Python you're
> running the setup with is the one that has that particular distutils
> on its path?  And gcc is available on the current PATH?

Hmm.. I had a previous version installed which I *renamed* to avoid any
confusion.
(I had installed the new version over the top of it  - so should be fine
anyway, and *yes* the disutils.cfg file is in the right directory ...)

Below is the results - including running gcc to show that it is on the
path :

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\michael>gcc
gcc: no input files

C:\Documents and Settings\michael>cd "d:\Python Projects\c"

C:\Documents and Settings\michael>d:

D:\Python Projects\c>setup.py build_ext --inplace
running build_ext
error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions
need to
be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

D:\Python Projects\c>

Very odd..............
This is from my work machine - where I have gone through all the steps
again....
This is the same result as I got on my home machine. (Python 2.3.3 at
home - activestate 2.3.2 here at work).

Regards,

Fuzzy

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

---
http://www.atlantibots.org.uk
Atlantibots - stomping across the worlds of Atlantis.
Building with Python - programming language that rules the world.
---
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk